Wednesday 20 August 2014

Oz/NZ

I'm on my way to Australia to attend the Consilium conference. I'll be on a panel speaking "in praise of contrary opinion". If you are in Sydney, we'll be reprising this discussion on the 25th in a public meeting.

On the 26th, I'll be on an excellent panel with Cassandra Wilkinson and Julie Novak to talk about government snooping and the march of puritanism. That event, organised by My Choice Australia, is also in Sydney and will, I hope, be followed by some binge-drinking.

I'll also be paying a flying visit to Auckland to talk about sin taxes at the New Zealand Food and Grocery Council, but that is, I think, restricted to members of that organisation.

I've had a few things to say about nanny state lunacy on the other side of world in recent years. The cancer of public health totalitarianism seems to be partially in remission in Australia since Gillard was kicked out, but it will be interesting to see things with my own eyes. It's been eight years since I visited either country.

I'll be back at the end of the month when normal service will be resumed on this blog.


2 comments:

JohnB said...

The cancer of public health totalitarianism seems to be partially in remission in Australia since Gillard was kicked out, but it will be interesting things with my own eyes.

Chris, the new lot (Libs/Nats) isn’t too much better than the old lot (Labour). Before departing, Labour floated the idea of increasing tobacco excise by 12.5% in each of the following four years (that’s in addition to the two automatic increases annually). The Libs didn’t like it…… for about a week. On getting into power, the 4 x 12.5% excise increase was the first piece of legislation passed by this new government.

The major change is that there aren’t the incessant federally-funded antismoking adverts on TV (although there are still some State-funded ads).

Chris, if you haven’t been to Australia for 8 years, let me bring you up to speed. In all States, smoking is banned in indoor work places, including restaurants and pubs. In most States, smoking has already been banned in outdoor al fresco areas of hospitality venues. New South Wales is due to bring in the al fresco ban in 2015. Victoria, the only hold-out to these al fresco bans, recently indicated (by State Liberal government) that such a ban will be introduced in the near future.

There are also smoking bans on train platforms, major tram stops, some areas of parks, some beaches, most/all university campuses, and hospital grounds. Most States have smoking bans for cars carrying children. In all of the major cities you’d be hard-pressed to find hotel accommodation that allows smoking in rooms.

Unfortunately, Australia is right up there with Califraudia for antismoking stupidity. In Australia, the prohibitionists have been given a red-carpet ride for the better part of the last 3 decades.

RdM said...

I'll also be paying a flying visit to Auckland

Chris;- having spent the last 3-4mths moving from Karangahape Rd to a more up-market yet utilitarian apartment near Queen St, balcony overlooking Myers Park, Auckland CBD cityscape views, still moving in but somewhat settled, I invite you, it would be an honour, a privilege to offer hospitality on a flying visit;- if not likely to meet in your scheduled meetings, maybe if you're in the CBD, later?

I'll yahoo you some more;- maybe? :=})