The German newspaper De Bild is today running a big story about the latest anti-smoking scheme from the European Union.
The EU has declared war against smokers! Brussels wants to eliminate cigarettes with a ‘smoking police’, ashtray bans and high-publicity legal processes against celebrities who enjoy a puff.
De Bild - Europe's best-selling newspaper - is the German equivalent of The Sun so take it with as many pinches of salt as you like, but it says the plans include:
• ‘Smoking police’: The EU states are being asked to set up a system for enforcing the smoking ban, including a system of prosecution. The use of inspectors and enforcement officials is recommended. They will also carry out random spot checks.
• Shock trials: The EU states will be encouraged to carry out sensationalist prosecutions designed to shock the public.
• Ashtray ban: It will be the responsibility of all companies and public services to ensure that there are no ashtrays in the building.
• Celebrities who smoke will also be targeted and exposed publicly as smoking offenders.
• The dossier even defines smoking as including the ownership or handling of a lit cigarette, regardless of whether or not the smoke is actively being inhaled.
Full story here.